Monday, May 2, 2011

Worst animal owner/lover ever.

As a vet tech, I find that some of us (I said some) are the worst animal owners. For instance when I took my precious Lola in to get her vaccines this past week, she urinated and anal glanded (?) in the carrier. What did I do? Beat her senseless? No, of course not. But I did get her 3-yr vaccines hoping that in 3 years we won't have the same problem. Now we recommend to clients, even if they get 3 year vaccines, to still get their annual physicals, probably won't happen with Lola. I can understand her fear, she was thrown out a car window in her early life, she has a fear of cars for good reason.
I also mowed this past week on the one day I didn't work and it wasn't raining. Unfortunately I uncovered a bunny hole that had 7 teeny tiny baby bunnies in it. Yes, they are cute and yes, I felt bad. But the damn bunny had it's babies in MY backyard that always has at least three dogs in it. To make it worse, she even had it in the perimeter of Tess's runner. Really?!?!?! Now I asked around and got many opinions, one was to leash walk my dogs until the bunnies are old enough. Well I have a fenced in backyard for a reason, so NO. I did offer to put a box over the hole with an entrance for momma bunny to come in but I was told that a rabbit would never go into the hole, it would be too scared. Well she had the babies with three dogs, isn't that scary??? My solution? I put an egg crate over it and will uncover it at night. That kept phoebe out of it, however did not keep Dudley peeing on or in the bunny hole. FAIL.
Now my last, most brutal and smelly reminder. I worked late last night, my days are long anyways but this day was 3 extra hours long. I felt horrible for my pups and it sucks that I don't have someone who I can trust to let the dogs out in situations like this. Not that I don't trust the people, I don't trust Tess with the people. There are VERY few people that she will even acknowledge and that is after lots of barking and still various places to run to. I played with them, fed them, loved them and then passed out from exhaustion. I woke up early, thanks to them and the open windows + the garbage truck, and fed them went back to bed only to wake up to find Dudley had peed on various places all over the living room. I think this is his passive agressive (all passive no agressive) way to tell me he is mad. Also as soon as the dogs ate last night, Tess was sure to move out of her kennel taking her rawhide with her saying "no way lady, you left me in there too long." Ugh. I know we will all get on the same page soon, eventually after some carpet cleaning and extra lovin. But it just goes to show that vet techs love our job so much that often when we are busy helping your pets, ours get neglected (at least in their eyes).
And don't even get me started on Phoebe and her pelvic bladder. Can you say sewing project for puppy panties?
I did notice some things that I haven't noticed before. I feel good. Yep I am tired, and sometimes a little congested (but who isn't) but I have not had a bad stomach issue or back issue in a very long time. Of course, I just jinxed myself but it makes me feel good to know that I am back on a good track. I do get the random unexplained injuries from scratches, bites, and those oddly placed bruises but no limiting back pain. Hooray for me, bad for my chiropractor. But hey I kept him in business for a good 2-3 years.
It was a scary step and I do miss my friends that I use to see every day. But all in all I love my job. I will try to be a better pet owner but as far as the bunnies, well, they are on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment