Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentines Day

Yep, I hate it. Like most single people, it is just a brutal reminder that we aren't getting candy, flowers, or any other love infused gift. I have fond memories of past valentines days. Such as, in high school getting v-day off due to a very generous speech teacher who taught us college speech at nights. We begged him the week before since everyone in the class had significant others and he told us he couldn't cancel. We showed up the next week to a sign on the door saying "Happy Valentines Day Class Cancelled" It was great because at the time I did have a boyfriend. I think that is my last recollection of a good Valentines day celebrated with a significant other. If I did have one with you and you are reading this, sorry...must not have been that great. I mean seriously, I dated a guy who's Grandparents owned a flower shop and never got flowers. Not cool (the guy and the lack of flowers.) Nowadays flowers don't last long in my house. The cats see flowers as a very pretty salad bar and help themselves to the main course. I guess that is another brutal reminder that love is fleeting. Score? V-day 8 Amy 0. How am I scoring this? Anyway I damn well want to.
However, in my family there is a tradition of my dad always drawing me a picture as my valentines day card, and I still look forward to that. I have stacks of the pictures and I love every one of them. And this is not a guilt trip for dad to get his butt in gear and draw me my damn picture, it is a token of my appreciation that I love the thoughtfulness and the personalization of each year that represents something that is important to me at that time...like last year it was Phoebe in her bee costume with hearts on the antenni (antennaes?). Though I must say I might be a little frightened how dad is going to incorporate a heart into Tom's picture this year. I guess we will have to wait and see....
I guess that makes the score V-day 8 Amy 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment